SURPRISE, Ariz. – In a matchup of two of the nation’s finest pitchers, Ok-State’s Jordan Wicks outdueled Oregon State’s Kevin Abel because the Wildcats took the season opener, 3-2, on the Sanderson Ford School Traditional Friday at Shock Stadium.
Wicks tied his profession excessive with 10 strikeouts, as he allowed simply three hits in holding the Beavers scoreless over seven innings within the win. The lefty retired 18 of the ultimate 20 hitters he confronted after he labored out of a bases-loaded, no-out jam within the second inning.
“He was superior,” mentioned head coach Pete Hughes. “When he will get into that rhythm, he is actually powerful to beat.
“Nice gamers determine it out in these large moments within the recreation. That is bases loaded, no out. When you harm management that inning, you hand over one run. And he comes out punch out, punch out and will get three outs in a row. That is why he is an awesome participant and an awesome competitor. He utterly turned the momentum round in that scenario.”
Abel held the Wildcats and not using a hit till the fifth inning, when true freshman Nick Goodwin delivered a two-run double to interrupt the scoreless tie. Goodwin’s first collegiate hit introduced residence Kamron Willman and Caleb Littlejim and the Cats led 2-0.
“I did not suppose any second could be too large for him,” Hughes mentioned of Goodwin. “He had two strikes and that was an enormous, large hit. It was the primary hit and obtained us to chill out a bit of bit and it helped Wicks settle in with a two-run lead.”
Goodwin, who hit within the No. 2 spot within the lineup because the designated hitter, reached base 4 instances in his Wildcat debut after drawing three walks.
Littlejim prolonged Ok-State’s result in three runs when he roped a two-out double down the left area line. Littlejim completed with a team-high two hits, going 2 for 3.
Oregon State (0-1) obtained a two-run homer from Ryan Ober within the eighth to chop the Ok-State (1-0) result in a single run, 3-2. Tyler Eckberg struck out two within the ninth inning, together with the ultimate out, to earn his ninth profession save.
“Any time that you could beat a program like that, it offers you a whole lot of confidence in your dugout,” Hughes added. “Hopefully we will construct on that and play nicely this weekend. I like the best way we performed right now.”
Ober’s two-out residence run broke a stretch of 22 2/Three consecutive scoreless innings thrown the Ok-State bullpen.
Abel, a nationwide freshman of the yr in 2018 and enjoying in his first recreation since 2019, took the loss after placing out seven over four 2/Three innings with one hit allowed. Six Beaver pitchers mixed to subject seven walks.
Ok-State snapped a five-game shedding streak to OSU whereas claiming its first Opening Day win for the reason that 2016 season.
Ok-State continues the Sanderson Ford School Traditional Saturday in opposition to Gonzaga at 6 p.m. CT. The sport might be streamed on FloBaseball (paid) with radio protection on Information Radio KMAN (93.Three FM, 1350 AM). Followers may catch stay, free audio at Ok-StateSports.com/watch.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ok-State scored three runs on three hits and dedicated no errors and left 11 on base.
- Oregon State scored two runs on six hits with two errors and stranded 5 baserunners.
- Wicks matched his profession excessive with 10 strikeouts.
- Wicks has gone seven innings in 4 of his final 5 begins, going again to 2020.
- Littlejim registered two of Ok-State’s three hits.
- Goodwin picked up his first collegiate hit in his Wildcat debut, going 1 for two with three walks and two RBI.
- Eckberg collected his ninth profession save, placing out a pair within the ninth.
- Ok-State drew seven walks.
- Two of the Cats’ three hits got here with two outs.
- The Wildcats went 2 for 12 with runners in scoring place whereas OSU was 2 for five.
- Oregon State leads the all-time sequence 8-5.
- Ok-State snapped a five-game shedding streak to the Beavers going again to 2013.
- The Cats received their first season opener since 2016.
- Cameron Thompson made his 185th consecutive begin for the Wildcats.
- Zach Kokoska’s 16-game on-base streak and Dylan Phillips’ 11-game hitting streak each got here to an finish.
- The Wildcat bullpen’s scoreless stretch ended at 22 2/Three innings.