FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — A have a look at what’s taking place across the New York Jets:
1. QB choices: With Carson Wentz reportedly on his approach to the Indianapolis Colts within the newest blockbuster quarterback commerce, the highlight shifts to the Jets and Sam Darnold. Do they be part of the carousel dealing Darnold or do they provide him yet another probability?
The clock is ticking. If the Jets do not decide the beginning of NFL free company (March 17), they threat dropping Darnold’s market. It is a powerful name as a result of it is not merely Darnold versus drafting a quarterback with the No. 2 general choose; one other consideration is the quantity of draft capital they’d obtain in numerous situations associated to buying and selling/conserving Darnold.
Let’s have some enjoyable and challenge how the draft would possibly play out in every scenario (not essentially within the order of chance):
State of affairs 1: Commerce Darnold, draft a quarterback. Publicly, the Jets have not dedicated to Darnold. Taken at face worth, it means they’re on the lookout for an improve — as they need to. In the event that they deal their onetime quarterback of the long run, it means they’re bought on a quarterback within the draft. Our hunch is that it is BYU’s Zach Wilson, assuming Trevor Lawrence goes No. 1 to the Jacksonville Jaguars.
There are some who imagine the Jets may get extra for Darnold than what the Philadelphia Eagles obtained for Wentz — a 2021 third-rounder and a 2022 conditional second-round choose that may rise to a first-rounder primarily based on enjoying time. Wentz was an MVP candidate in 2017, however he additionally has baggage — an enormous contract, an harm historical past and questions on his coachability. As one league supply stated, “Darnold is reasonable. He has two years left [on his contract, including the fifth-year option]. Nice child, poor workforce.”
In our projection, the Jets commerce Darnold to the Washington Soccer Group for a swap of first-round picks (Nos. 19 and 23), a 2021 second-round choose (No. 51) and a 2022 third-rounder. The one caveat is Deshaun Watson. If the Houston Texans resolve to commerce their star, the Jets should be ready to pivot shortly. Eradicating Watson from the equation, the Jets may stroll away with these picks and prospects (see situation 1 chart).
State of affairs 2: Maintain Darnold, draft greatest participant out there. The Jets reportedly have fielded commerce inquiries on Darnold from a handful of groups.
A supply from a type of groups got here away with the impression Darnold will not be dealt. If that is the case, the Jets can use their draft capital to construct round him. In the event that they go for the established order — dangerous, contemplating Darnold’s underwhelming physique of labor — their prospect haul may appear like this (see situation 2 chart):
State of affairs 3: Maintain Darnold, commerce down. The Jets may make a killing if a quarterback-needy workforce beneath them needs to swap picks.
The Atlanta Falcons (No. 4), Philadelphia Eagles (No. 6) and Carolina Panthers (No. 8) are the most definitely suitors. It is a slightly steep drop, however let’s challenge a commerce with the Panthers, who appear notably fired up for a brand new quarterback. In our situation, the Jets would get the Panthers’ second-round choose (No. 39) and a 2022 first-rounder, giving them three first-round picks in 2022.
Even when the Jets have reservations about Darnold, their emotions may very well be assuaged the dimensions of the draft haul. If they should draft his alternative in 2022, they’d have these three first-rounders to make it occur. That is what you name quarterback insurance coverage.
Within the meantime, they might draft six gamers within the first three rounds (see situation Three chart):
2. Maye tag? If the Jets are critical about retaining security Marcus Maye — they’re — it is smart to make use of the franchise tag if the 2 sides cannot attain a brand new deal. The tag quantities will not be set till the wage cap is finalized, however the projection for the security place is $11.2 million, in line with Over The Cap. That is not an outrageous quantity, contemplating he’s anticipated to exceed that quantity in assured cash on a long-term contract.
The franchise tag window is Feb. 23 to March 9.
3. Boss homecoming: Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson visited the workforce facility Wednesday, his first journey to One Jets Drive since getting back from his ambassadorship in the UK. He took the time to cease every division, assembly with coaches, personnel staffers, people in enterprise, and many others. There’s been quite a lot of turnover since he was final in cost in June 2017. That is when he handed the baton to youthful brother Christopher Johnson, who joined him on Wednesday’s impromptu stroll way of the constructing.
Woody hasn’t talked publicly since resuming his position, however he has been tweeting:
Nice to be again. pic.twitter.com/JRG7sMQ9RQ
— Woody Johnson (@woodyjohnson4) February 17, 2021
4. Mosley in the home: Linebacker C.J. Mosley, who opted out of the 2020 season due to COVID-19 considerations, stopped the ability a number of days in the past. (He posted an image on his Instagram story.) Mosley has been gone for thus lengthy that people may be questioning if the Jets are contractually locked into him for 2021. The reply is sure.
They cannot reduce him as a result of they’d get hit with a $20 million “useless” cost, and so they cannot commerce him as a result of he’s nonetheless owed $14 million in ensures over the following two seasons. Mosley, who will flip 29 in June, hasn’t performed an entire recreation since 2018. For now, he initiatives as the center linebacker in coach Robert Saleh’s 4-Three protection.
5. Massive Ben vs. small spenders: How’s this for a mind-boggling salary-cap comparability?
Really, the Jets will fall beneath Massive Ben’s quantity in the event that they launch defensive lineman Henry Anderson ($8.2 million financial savings). Roethlisberger, too, appears to be on skinny ice.
Ryan Clark explains why he may see the Jets drafting Zach Wilson with the No. 2 choose as he compares the BYU QB to Patrick Mahomes.
6. Captain Wilson: In a current tweet, I stated Wilson wasn’t a captain final season at BYU. He was. Enable me to elucidate.
The tweet was primarily based on a Sept. Four information launch BYU, which introduced eight captains (voted gamers) for the 2020 season. Wilson wasn’t among the many eight. Shortly thereafter, he was named a captain and served in that position for the rest of the season. (There was no announcement, however he wore the “C” on his jersey.)
In keeping with a BYU official, he changed tight finish Matt Bushman, an elected captain who suffered a season-ending harm earlier than the primary recreation. So, sure, I deserve a penalty flag. No, I will not be reporting on the quantity of people that confirmed up at his most up-to-date celebration.
7. Hogan re-laxes: Former Jets vast receiver Chris Hogan, 33, who introduced final week he is coming into the Premier Lacrosse League entry draft, is not giving up his NFL profession, in line with enterprise companions Tom Ottaiano and Joe Sanfilippo. However for now, Hogan’s focus is professional lacrosse. He has been speaking about this transfer for 10 years, stated Ottaiano, a detailed good friend who performed soccer with Hogan at Monmouth College and had an unsuccessful tryout with the Jets in 2011. It ought to be enjoyable to see how Hogan, a former lacrosse star at Penn State, makes the transition.
“Not many individuals can say they’re two-sport skilled athletes,” Ottaiano stated. “It is a quick record.”