It’s time to place some respect again on Washington’s title.The Huskies are undefeated and have the most effective win within the nation, primarily based on these rankings, however they’ve frequently sat exterior the highest 4 of the College Football Playoff choice committee’s in-season rankings. That wants to vary this week. After pulling out a 22-20 win in opposition to Oregon State on a wet evening in Corvallis, Washington has essentially the most spectacular resume within the nation. The Huskies transfer as much as No. 2 on this week’s Athletic 133.Washington has wins over Oregon, Arizona, Utah, Oregon State and USC. Nobody can match that many good victories. Yes, the Huskies wanted a choose six and a questionable penalty to flee Arizona State and performed Stanford shut, however no group blows everybody out each single week.Quarterback Michael Penix Jr. struggled at instances in opposition to the Beaver protection, finishing 13 of 28 passes, however he was answerable for all three touchdowns in a troublesome atmosphere, and he got here up with a clutch third-down completion to Rome Odunze to seal a recreation which Washington entered as a betting underdog.Georgia continues to seem like the most effective group within the nation and is getting higher each week, however everybody else appears to be like beatable, together with Washington. Perhaps Oregon can be favored if the Ducks and Huskies meet once more within the Pac-12 championship recreation, however that’s for one more time. Right now, Washington deserves to not solely be within the prime 4 however larger than fourth.Here is that this week’s Athletic 133.
- Other than Washington transferring up, the one change within the prime 10 is Missouri transferring in after beating Florida to maneuver to 9-2.
- We’ve by no means seen a season within the CFP period with 5 11-0 Power 5 groups. In idea, the scenario might work itself out simply, with Georgia, Washington, Florida State and the Michigan/Ohio State winner making the highest 4. But the devastating leg harm to Florida State quarterback Jordan Travis might upend that risk and create some troublesome CFP conversations concerning the ‘Noles. They’ll play Louisville within the ACC championship recreation, which could possibly be a top-10 matchup.
- Penn State’s wins over Iowa and West Virginia have regarded higher because the season has performed out, and the Nittany Lions transfer as much as No. 12, behind Ole Miss due to the Rebels’ wins in opposition to LSU and Tulane. Oklahoma drops to No. 14 after escaping BYU. Oregon State drops to No. 16 after its loss, falling simply behind Arizona, which demolished Utah 42-18 and beat the Beavers in October. James Madison’s undefeated run is over, however the Dukes don’t fall out of the highest 25 as a result of it was an additional time loss and JMU nonetheless has a great win in opposition to Troy. JMU’s full bowl eligibility waiver was denied, so No. 20 Tulane is within the main place for the New Year’s Six spot, however the Green Wave play UTSA this week earlier than a possible AAC championship recreation the place they may see No. 26 SMU, which simply gained at Memphis.
- Toledo is 10-1 and in addition in that NY6 combine after a late win in opposition to Bowling Green; the Rockets additionally transfer into the highest 25. Iowa touchdown at No. 16 in final week’s CFP rankings was shocking, particularly as a result of it was unranked within the AP Poll. They’re No. 24 right here this week. The Hawkeyes don’t have a victory over a group with greater than six wins and had been blown out by Penn State. Their protection is elite, however Iowa has escaped a number of .500 Big Ten West groups in latest weeks. They’re forward of Toledo as a result of the Rockets misplaced to Illinois in Week 1 and Iowa beat the Illini.
- Clemson climbs to No. 30 after beating North Carolina. UNLV is as much as No. 32 after coming again to beat Air Force. UCLA’s snug win over USC strikes the Bruins as much as No. 34 and USC all the way down to No. 35. I proceed to don’t know why Tennessee, No. 33 right here, is ranked within the polls.Miami’s one-score loss to Louisville sees the Hurricanes solely slide to No. 38 and keep forward of Texas A&M on account of their head-to-head outcome. Duke continues to slip, now all the way down to No. 40 after a loss to Virginia. Wyoming bounces again as much as No. 43, aided by its early-season win in opposition to Texas Tech, which beat UCF to get to bowl eligibility.New Mexico State’s 31-10 win at Auburn to maneuver to 9-3 sees the Aggies soar as much as No. 37. The Fightin’ Jerry Kills have gained seven consecutive video games, overcoming early losses to UMass and Hawaii that make them a weird group to put.
- Kentucky and Florida fall out of the highest 50 after losses to South Carolina and Missouri, respectively. Georgia Tech is as much as No. 54 after beating Syracuse to turn into bowl-eligible. Maryland solely slides two spots to No. 55 after enjoying Michigan shut. Appalachian State’s additional time win at James Madison sees the Mountaineers transfer as much as No. 62.Wisconsin acquired again on monitor with an additional time win in opposition to Nebraska to maneuver as much as No. 66. Twelve groups on this group of 25 want a win this weekend to get to a bowl recreation.